Tuesday 11 May 2010

A little piece of character animation

Sorry about the tease yesterday.
Here's the deal, I've been creating a short piece of character animation in my spare time using a piece of audio taken from the film Master and Commander. The Captain and the Doctor are aboard a ship having a dinner party with the ships officers. They're all a bit tipsy. The Captain feels the Doctor is being a bit uptight and decides to play a joke on the Doctor.
The animation I'm working on is being created in Maya using my own rigs and character models. I've really been enjoying it so far, its good to get back into some creative work.
I've been studiously uploading videos to youTube that document the creation process from the first videos of myself acting out the two roles to the latest passes on the animation.

If you would like to take a look at how it's going here's a link to the youTube page.
My youTube Channel

Feedback is welcome!

There is also a Google Wave being generated to document feedback and changes, if you want to take a look, here's the link:
https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+kuLKyPoWA

again, feedback welcome!

Currently I have just finished playing around with the timing and composition of the camera shots. Now I'm going right in to remove tangents to help with the readability and add flowing arcs to make the movement more pleasing on the eye. I'll do a separate post on these next time.

till then!

5 comments:

  1. great stuff! now that you've got that old fellow rigged and skinned you'll have to send me on a test animation so I can work that stuff into my engine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that would be cool.
    There's no reason why this rig wouldnt work in real in time. No reason at all.
    Let me know when you want me to send a test, ill export and send your way. We'll just need to work out a format, fbx?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess fbx would be a good start. No rush on it though, getting very busy at work as we approach the end of our current project and I'm doing a small 2D game on iphone using said engine in my spare time. Guess I should start blogging about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, you should definitely be doing that. Looking forward to seeing your game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete