Monday 9 August 2010

Hunted!

It's time to start a new animation. My last animation clocked in at 30 seconds long which, as I learnt, was far too long. To enable me to create, make mistakes and learn faster this animation project will be much shorter. Hopefully I can move onto another project more rapidly and speed up the learning experience.

My primary aim is to create a short four second action animation around the theme "Hunted". The animation should be to a very high quality, ideally Gobelins quality.
My secondary aim is to improve my ability to put texture in the timing of my animations.
My third aim is to create an animation in the style of Gobelins. If you've never seen a gobelins animation, here's a link:
http://www.gobelins.fr/galerie/animation/

So far I have some rough pose sketches (read very rough), see below, im trying to capture the feeling of legging it from something with some extreme posing.



I tried creating a few sketches for some backgrounds, frankly, they were a bit rubbish. But that's not to say they were a waste. They showed me what I didnt want to see and gave me an idea of what I did want see. I sat down with Maya and played with basic geometry until I saw what I wanted to see. The bonus is that when I come to do paintovers of the geometry I wont have to work out the perspective and can get on with being creative.

With regards to animating the piece, I'm taking a different approach to blocking out this time by using stepped keys in Maya. It creates the feeling of stepping between the frames and shows no inbetweens. I've avoided it in the past as I felt it was difficult to get a sense of timing. However I've been practising with the technique and found it to be a quick way of feeling how an animation will turn out in terms of timing.

I've started a public wave to keep track of feedback, click the link below to take you straight to it.
HUNTED ANIMATION WAVE

To go off topic for a moment. Im sad that Google have decided not to continue with Wave. I certainly find it useful, I hope the features of Wave make their way into other internet applications.

Below is the first block out of the timing that I'm almost happy with.
Next post I will update with a more broken down animation using some of the poses above.


No comments:

Post a Comment